Charlie has a summer birthday, during the school year he gets to bring a birthday treat to school during the last weeks of school.
Charlie was inspired by a classmate who brought dirt cake for his birthday treat. He tells me everyone loves it, even the teacher.
The tricky thing about taking a special birthday treat to school is figuring out how to transport from home to school on the bus.
I want to save this recipe I used for future use, because it really is yummy!
This recipe was easy enough that Charlie did most of it.
Worm Dirt Cake
(Cooks.com modified for Charlie)
2 packages Oreo cookies, crushed
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese
1/2 C butter, softened
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 C + a couple of T powder sugar
3 C milk
2 (3 1/2 oz.) packages of instant vanilla pudding (can use chocolate)
Gummy worms and gummy butterflies.
17 – 1/2 pint jelly jars with lids.
1. Crush Oreos, set aside. Charlie used our food processor.
2. Cream butter, cream cheese and vanilla. Slowly add the powder sugar. If it is getting too dry/thick, add a drop or two of milk.
3. Combine milk and pudding mix.
4. Fold Cool Whip into the pudding.
5. Fold together the butter/cream cheese mixture and the pudding mixture.
6. Add approximately 1-2 T of the Oreo crumbs into each jelly jar. Place one gummy worm on top of the crumbs.
7. Add about 3-4 T of the pudding mixture to the jar, leaving about 1 – 1.5 inch space at the top of the jar.
We stopped here and put them in the fridge over night and finished the last steps in the morning.
8. Cover the pudding with the rest of the Oreo crumbs and top with a gummy worm or butterfly.