Dye Projects – August 2014
I did a dye demonstration at the Norske Needlers’ Meeting.
I had the dye and supplies for them to do a Low Water Immersion dye in large yogurt containers.
At the quilt guild meeting I showed them how to start and ice dye with this shirt and two pieces of fabric. The two colors of dye I used was Dylon Flamingo Pink and Navy.
I had some leftover dye from the demo.
So I did this:
This was accordion folded and LWI in that bin above with the primary colors of fire red, daffodil and royal blue. I was horrified when the red was flowing across the whole thing. And then pleasantly surprised by the beautiful results.
The baby shirts are suppose to have a heart in the center – flopped!
This was the most surprising, the fabric on the left isn’t cotton, just the decorative thread is. So the thread is the only thing that took the dye. I was going to make matching skirts for me and Nola Mae. Making hers into a watermelon skirt. Some how the green that I used on the bottom wasn’t green.
I got all these shirts from a thrift store. They were having a $5 bag sale so I grabbed everything in the store that was white to dye!
I still have some dye left over and am waiting for more inspiration to put it to good use.
I have been thinking of doing a galaxy ice dye and finally just did it on this sheet and piece of fabric and