June was the month to work on some dye projects that have been brewing in my head. I will be doing a demonstration on fabric dyeing at my local quilt guild’s meeting in early August. I am far from being a pro at this, but with every project I do I learn more and more. I am looking forward to sharing my projects, ideas and my knowledge with them.
I was motivated to try a new (new to me) technique called Low Water Immersion (LWI) when a friend asked me for a three color ring sling.
The finished ring sling:
During most dye projects I am able to add a few extra things to my dye projects. I have a stash of white items that I pick from. Most often I have a slightly stained onesie or child’s shirt that is still in good condition, so I add those kinds of things to my dye projects. In the above LWI ring sling I dyed these items:
and this cotton drawstring laundry bag,
and this old sheet that was going to be a ghost for our dress up box, but the face never got cut out.
Whenever I dye something I get the bug to do more…
I had this brown skirt that I loved and could only wear it around home because it had some stains on it.
I did a LWI dye technique and Dylon dye Terracotta Brown. The lining of the skirt is prettier and turned out more how I was expecting it to look. The red splotches are from the dye not being fully dissolved.
I ice dyed this dress of Nola Mae’s that had some color bleeding from the colorful trim when I used a stain remover on the dress. It was the exact same shade as Dylon dye’s Bahama Blue.
Underneath the dress I added a scrap piece of a bed sheet that my step-mom gave me.
I was disappointed with the results on both the dress and the scrap sheet. The Bahama Blue doesn’t give that “ice dye” look. I would have been better off practicing tub dyeing with those two pieces.
One night on facebook I saw someone in a dyeing group I follow list dyes for sale. People rave about this brand of dye (Dharma Dye). I wasn’t really interested in purchasing it mainly because it is only available on-line, Dylon Dyes I can buy from JoAnn Fabric easily. This deal was a good one and this was my chance to try that brand. I bought about $150 worth of dye and didn’t have to pay shipping for a lot less.
I have wanted to try a glue resist dye project and since the scrap sheet was a flop and blotchy it would work for this technique.
We traced hands and Charlie and Henry took turns adding designs to the fabric with the glue.
I scrunched up the fabric on my ice dyeing tray, piled ice on top and sprinkled a tiny amount of my new Dharma dyes on the ice and this is what we got:
Dyes: Daffodil, Cerulean Blue, Better Blue Green, and Fuchsia Red.
I made this little bag for my Mom for her birthday. Each side of the bag has one of my children’s hand print.
I had part of the rainbow colors done for this set of napkins. With my new dyes I wanted to try a tub dye with them so I finished my rainbow by dyeing the yellow with Daffodil, and the pink on the right was dyed with Fuchsia Red. I had two purple napkins and threw one of them in the Fuchsia Red dye. I think that is the napkin next to the orange one.
I did an ice dye with my new dye and got this piece that will be made into a ring sling for a friend who will have her baby this fall.
Dyes: Cerulean Blue and Better Blue Green.
These are the bonus items I dyed (top two shirts were under the ring sling and ice and the bottom two were in the “drip water”).
My biggest failed dye project is this (I am sorry Michelle, if you read this):
Ice dyed with Intense Violet Dylon Dye.
Overdyed with ice and Navy Dylon Dye.
I am falling in love with the LWI technique.
These two pieces I made after someone saw the first LWI ring sling I did. This ring sling was done with my new dyes.
Dyes: Granny Apple, Peacock Blue & Power Berry.
I had a little bit of Peacock Blue and Power Berry left so I scrunched up this piece of scrap sheet into a coffee can, squirted the blue in the middle and the purple on the outside edges, this is the result: