Baby Doll

If you know me well, you know I love my lactation consultant, Sandy, and think every mother with a new baby (breastfed or formula fed) should attend a baby group like the one she facilitates, or LLL (Le Leche League) meeting or a moms’ group.  I was almost a
failure in my breastfeeding with my oldest child and youngest child.  But,
thanks to the amazing support I received from Sandy, the moms in the baby
group, my friends, and my family, I succeeded.  Robbie and I made it last until he was 16 months old.  Nola Mae and I are still going strong at 17 months.  You can read Robbie’s story here and Nola Mae’s story here.

What does this have to do with a baby doll?

Here is the story:

I was at one of Sandy’s baby groups, the topic was baby wearing. A friend of mine was teaching/demonstrating with a doll weighted with bee bees so the doll was more real to life.  Sandy thought that kind of baby would be helpful to her when she is teaching the breastfeeding class and childbirth class at Riverside Medical, demonstrating baby wearing and while working with moms/dads; she can show things while the mom/dad holds their baby.   I told her I could try to figure out how to make one of those babies for her.  Now I can do something to help Sandy and other future breastfeeding mothers!

I am the queen of cheapness!  I try to make Do It Yourself (DIY) things all the time!  Why not with this project?  I was searching rummage sales, Goodwill and St. Vinnie’s stores for many months.  In August I hit the jack-pot at St. Vinnie’s in Marshfield with their “50% off sale”.  I completed this project by only spending $1.25, the baby has “2.50” marked on the left foot.

I started with this baby doll, cut open the body to see how things looked on the inside.  Next time I will open the seams where the legs are attached to the body.

baby doll

I cut the seams that were holding the arms and legs on.  And needed to make the body a little bigger to hold the insides.  The pink fabric was given to me.

baby doll body

I gathered rocks for the head.  I put them in a sack so they wouldn’t bang around inside the head. Next time I will put more weight in the head.

baby doll rocks for head

I gathered pea gravel, washed and rinsed it.

baby doll rocks for body

I made pouches for the arms and legs to have sections full of rocks, with stuffing added to soften and round out the arms and legs.  Arms weigh about 3.5 ounces each.  Next time I will make the arms heavier.

baby doll parts arms

The legs are about 5 ounces each.  Next time I will make the legs heavier.

baby doll parts legs

A pouch for the body cavity weighs four pounds.

baby doll parts body

All the parts here are ready for me to put the baby back together.  I made a second sack for the body and stuffed the stuffing in to soften the body.

baby doll parts

At this point I was hoping clothes or a sleeper on this baby doll will make the shoulders and attached limbs look more real.

baby doll pins

I was unable to sew the last seam with my sewing machine.  Nola Mae wanted to sit on my lap while I sewed.  Many times she kissed the baby’s foot.

baby doll toe kisses

Done!

baby doll finished 1

Dressed!

baby doll finished 2

This baby is looking pretty real and feels real, not the eight pound baby I was hoping for.  The final weight is 6 pounds 5 ounces.

I had the baby on the chair for the above photo.  Nola Mae climbed up for some cuddling.

baby doll Nola Mae smile

This makes me think she has to have her own weighted baby doll.

baby doll Nola Mae squeeze

After the big squeeze, she started to pat the baby on the back.

baby doll Nola Mae pats

Then kisses!

baby doll Nola Mae kisses

Henry needed a turn for some cuddling and

baby doll Henry hug

baby wearing in the Mei Tai.

baby doll Henry Mei Tai

After this baby doll was finished I went to my sewing room to clean up a little, I looked outside my window and saw Henry carrying the baby down the driveway to meet the bus.

Advertisements

4 responses

  1. Very cool! When I went to a Waldorf doll making class they showed us a “heavy baby” a pattern for a weighted doll. Their idea was to use millet. You baked it first (stirring regularly) and then when it cooled you filled up the doll. I believe it weighed 5 pounds and it was lovely to have a baby with real weight to it! Nice job on your up-cycled doll – I’m sure it will be wonderful for the class!

I would love to hear what you think, please feel free to leave a comment.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s