Last week I posted Getting Ready for Summer Vacation (click here to read that post), and I have been doing a lot of thinking and planning since then.
When I worked for Head Start, many years ago, I got tired of my supervisor always saying, “What is your ‘Plan’?” or “What is the ‘Plan’?” or “Here is the ‘Plan’.” Even though I got tired of that phrase I did learn that it always worked to have “A Plan”. I have learned to use this method of problem solving in my parenting.
Now, back to THE PLAN for Summer!!
Today is our first day of summer vacation! Let the fun begin!
I talked to each of the boys and asked them what they wanted us to do this summer this is the list we came up with…
Each day we will try to accomplish:
- Practice piano.
- Read books.
- Play outside.
- Keep the kitchen clean.
- Get exercise – 30-60 minutes.
- Eat healthy snacks.
- Henry will take a nap.
- Work in the garden.
- Pick up dirty socks and dirty clothes.
Each week we will try to accomplish:
- Keep up with our daily list.
- Write a letter to a family or a friend.
- Go to the library.
- Go to the beach.
- Go hiking with friends.
- Go fishing.
- Make a load of firewood.
Each month we will try to:
- Invite friends over for a fun activity.
- Take a weekend trip to visit family.
We haven’t scheduled any dates for our family vacations. The dates are still being worked out.
Locations we will visit this summer:
- Bay Beach – http://baybeach.org/
- Pictured Rocks National Park – http://www.nps.gov/piro/index.htm
- Liver Life Walk Milwaukee – http://go.liverfoundation.org/site/TR/LiverLifeWalk2011/LiverLifeWalk?pg=entry&fr_id=2490
The boys will continue taking piano lessons through the summer months, attend summer school for two weeks and take swimming lessons for two weeks.
I’m not feeling so frazzled and nervous about our transition into summer now that we have “A Plan” and our first date for meeting friends at the beach day and a play date for Robbie!